Peng Shuai: China player safe after missing video call to IOC

Peng, 32, reached the Olympic quarter-finals in Beijing in 2008

Tennis player Peng Shuai says she is safe after going missing from a mobile phone in a video call to the International Olympic Committee, says the Olympic body.

The 32-year-old was found safe in Switzerland, where she was training for next month’s Tour Finals in London.

The Chinese tennis player vanished on Saturday.

She was in Scotland with the International Tennis Federation team to play the Bank of England event.

Peng was found at 6.30am on Tuesday in the city of Lausanne, where she was under the spell of fianceing Sportjet’s boss Jean-Louis Monier, who called for her release.

Speaking to the Chinese newspaper Sohu, the athlete said: “I am safe and sound.”

Peng, who had been training in Saudi Arabia and Croatia, was reported missing after she did not return to her family home in Beijing after Saturday’s training.

A spokesman for the International Olympic Committee confirmed she had been found safe and well.

We’ve launched a new BBC Sport newsletter, bringing all the best stories, features and video right to your inbox. You can sign up here.

Leave a Comment