The Monaco Grand Prix will be cut to three days in 2022, according to Formula One’s new boss Chase Carey.
Carey made the announcement Wednesday at an industry event in Singapore. It’s in contrast to the traditional Monaco Grand Prix weekend with six hours of F1 qualifying on Friday, a race on Sunday and more qualifying.
“Monaco is an incredible race track, the history is first and foremost with Monaco,” Carey said. “I think it will be really exciting for the fans.”
Carey, who replaced Bernie Ecclestone as F1’s new chief executive in January, said the race was no longer in the interests of the sport’s commercial rights holder, Liberty Media.
“We decided that Monaco should return to the three-day format.”
Because of increased speed limits during the twilight hour, shorter races are becoming popular in F1. Earlier this year in Azerbaijan, the season-opening race came in two days, while Russia was cut to three days earlier this month.
Carey’s F1 contract with Liberty was initially to run through 2023, and the new deal for 2023 plus 2025 has yet to be signed. Carey has said the recently started 2021 season will be too long if it’s compressed into 18 months.
“I think the race will be a great driving spectacle, I think the spectacular track is very relevant,” Carey said of the race in Montreux, Switzerland. “Certainly the race should be happening in August — being in a certain point in the calendar may be a conversation we have, and we’ll see how the year unfolds.”
The announcement made at the Singapore International Motor Show came just two days after another boss of Formula One proposed a five-day race in Singapore.
“Last year was very challenging with weather, for example,” Carey said of the Asian city-state. “I think it was much more refreshing to play and hang out with the Singapore fans on a three-day weekend.”
More of Carey’s talking points were positive for the future of F1.
The sport chairman noted the growth of social media — with more than 2 million on F1’s Fan Factory app — and interest for driver tests, as well as plans to enable the use of drones in Formula One testing.
He also said an initiative with a trademark trademark was “beginning to talk.” He was referring to the fight between Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel to become the only driver to have a Formula One hat trick — winning titles from 2010 through 2014.
“It looks like (Vettel) may hold the record now, but I think it’s something we would like to get back to,” Carey said.
The risk with changes that come with F1 in 2021 is if fans are unhappy and then ditch the sport.
“It’s a fantastic commitment to these sport partners in the long term,” Carey said. “We’re going to do the work to make sure that we deliver that, whether it’s a F1 event or other things.”